When I came back from Interlochen, I thought about all the experiences I had that week. I had reconnected with orchestra alums and learned a lot of new things. I'm not sure if I'll be able to adequately describe the way the counselors bonded with each other so for now here's a list of new experiences.
Things I did for the first time at Interlochen
- Skipped a rock on the lake
Too bad the next 20 rocks I through after that went "thunk"
- Learned Euchre
- Played Mao, quite badly
- Learned the Ninja game
- Drove a golf cart
- Slept in the counselor part of the cabin
- Played the My game and claimed lots of cool stuff, including two bear crossing signs, two wild turkeys, the Mesick water tower, the Melody Freeze, and a schnauzer (or maybe it wasn't a schnauzer)
- Learned that Neutral Milk Hotel's In Aeroplane Over the Sea is a concept album about Anne Frank
- Cleaned humongous dead moths from the cabin
- Plungered a toilet and actually made it work again and did not put more TP to make it flood
- Saw satellites and the "music stand" and "bass" constellations. But I never called a satellite, which makes me sad.
- Was carried on a chair during the tennis court rehearsal of Saen-Saints' Samson and Delilah because it sounded like Hava Nagila
- Was a counselor at the first Huron orchestra camp at Interlochen