Saturday, September 20, 2008

Peers and Professors

It's been a long time since I last updated, I know. I thought about letting the blog go but I couldn't for two reasons.

First, I could not give up reading up on my fellow bloggers. Friends near and far (Marci: Very Far), please keep updating because checking my blog for your updates requires me to take note of how long it's been since I've updated myself. Of course, do leave love here as well and I will reciprocate.

Secondly, I conquered one instance of procrastination and the result was favorable. It made me believe that much -- my internship paper and this blog -- is salvageable.

See, the due date for the first draft of my research paper following my summer internship was nearly a fortnight ago yet I'm not done writing. I was miserable thinking about how I would tell my faculty reader that I had not finished it. She hadn't emailed me inquire about its progress and so I assumed it was up to me to initiate the conversation.

But I procrastinated on telling her. The dangerous nature of procrastination is that the longer you wait, the more difficult it is to get finish that task. I didn't think I'd make it through the weekend without knowing whether or not I was going to fail a class so I took a deep breath and sent her an email.

I expected a reply conveying disappointment and anger but instead she said that my topic was "fantastic" and that the deadline was "somewhat flexible". This was much more clemency than I expected.

Thank you professor; Thank you fellow bloggers. I'm back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay!

also, procrastination leads to anxiety and anxiety leads to early death. a painful lesson i relearn about once a year... though not quite reaching early death.