Saturday, May 2, 2009

A xeroxed love letter just for you

I thought I found a love letter today. It was on the ground in that little hallway behind the Grand River Starbucks, where the bathrooms are and a door that leads to the back of the alley. I brought it home.

It was folded perfectly in thirds and the third facing up said, "For You."



Love letters usually give me goosebumps, like nasty-hyperbole-I-love-you-forever-and-ever goosebumps. I don't generally believe in falling head over heels mad in love, or at least, that kind of madly in love that last for more than, oh, two days.

But at that point, I have could used a little love letter pick me right then. Because there's a part of me that likes "Can You Fall in Love Tonight" from the Lion King. But more importantly, there's a part of me that believes people can care about one another. Not a love letter, but a encouraging note, that's what I was looking for.

So the irony that a love letter that is supposed to be personal turns out to be a photocopy generic letter. I know it's photocopied and not printed from a printer because you can see that the resolution isn't very good, like if you made a photocopy from a photocopy.

It's titled "Memorandum to My Love". (Love letters don't usually have titles, do they??) And it's addressed "To My Person," and signed "- Your Person."



But maybe it is a love letter. It's a love letter from one person who doesn't know the person who picked it up.

No comments: