Friday, November 13, 2009

statement of faith

I've been thinking about religion this week. I had an encounter with the Wells Hall preacher on Wednesday while tabling with MSU Students for Choice. And before that, I read this awesome entry by pursue sapience. I guess I'm cheating a bit here by copying her instead of writing my own blog entry. But I really like what she had to say.

From pursue sapience:
I am fortunate enough to have people in my life who believe in me. It's a powerful feeling, one which I am unable to properly describe, to have someone put their faith in you. I wonder what the world would be like if, instead of or in addition to putting faith into books and prophets and gods and deities, we channeled the same sort of faith into ourselves and those around us.

I think that there are two uses of the term "faith" here. There is religious belief in the supernatural without evidence or proof, which, I think, neither pursue sapience nor I have. There is the confidence that people have in each other. This support from one person to another is powerful. And it's something pursue sapience and I have to give and wish others would have in us.

No comments: