Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Advice for recent college grads and me

I usually don't read advice letters to recent college grads because I'm not a recent college grad but mostly because I find them insipid drivel. But this from Jezebel spoke to me because I have been thinking a lot about what specialty of medicine to put down on my residency applications this September. 


I don't want to turn you into a misanthrope at such a tender age, but listen: most people do not have your best interests at heart. I now see that most of the idiots who told me I'd surely fail were projecting their own insecurities onto me.


I knew that all the people who told me that I should choose one of the ROAD* specialties weren't giving me good advice. Nobody has said that I would fail if I did any other specialty, but they have given me this look of pity, like I'm going to be miserable and disillusioned in a couple years time. (Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology. These are very high paying specialties with comfortable work hours.)

When I think about the next few months: moving out of Flint and going to an away elective IN ONE WEEKEND, endless traveling for electives and residency interviews, graduating from med school, interviewing for residency, starting residency, having real responsibilities to keep people alive, I'm so overwhelmed! Then I felt better when I read this:


I've slowly gotten better at dealing with overwhelming responsibilities and terrifying experiences because I've been through similar overwhelming responsibilities and terrifying experiences before and I know I'll pull through. 


When I think back on the past few years, I have already so much that was overwhelming and terrifying, like pass Step 1, move to Flint, work with doctors, talk to real patients, navigate a hospital. That was all SO terrifying but I've made it to today. And that is a little bit reassuring. 

No comments: